Unfortunate but true, vehicle insurers are not always looking out for your best interest. That being said, it is important for smart local policy-shoppers to be aware of all the discounts that apply to them and their vehicle.
Let’s Get Started:
PART 1: Austin AUTOMOBILE INSURANCE – SAFETY FEATURES
1. DRIVER & PASSENGER AIRBAGS
Most Austinites have either front or side airbags for either the passenger or driver in their vehicle. This feature comes standard on many cars now, for example the new Volkswagen Beetle. Here’s the complete listing of airbag types:
-Driver-side Airbags (frontal)
-Driver-side Airbags (Side) – great safety feature
-Passenger-side Airbags (frontal) – like on the new Chevrolet Avalanche
-Passenger-side Airbags (Side)
2. BELT PASSIVE RESTRAINTS
Once again, most Austinite drivers have at least one form of these. Passive restraints are automatic safety devices, such as:
1. Automatic Seatbelt systems
2. Sliding Door-mounted belt systems
3. Other advanced seatbelt systems, like those offered in the new Toyota Scion tC Supercharger.
3. INSTALLED ANTI-LOCK BRAKES
Amazingly Almost everyone has these, but – remarkably – fails to mention this to their local Austinite agent. If you don’t mention them, you could be missing out on a great discount.
4. AUTO-DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS
This great factory-set feature makes it impossible to turn off the headlights for your car. Certain Japanese car-makers (like the Nissan Altima) have this standard on some models.
PART 2: Austin Texas AUTO INSURANCE – SECURITY FEATURES
5. STEERING-WHEEL LOCKING BAR (THE CLUB)
Austinites commonly refer to it as the “The Club” Not all agents give discount for this, because it must be manually activated (physically), and it is relatively easy to remove by experienced thieves. One agent source, Phil from Progressive, stated that his company does not offer this discount, but knows that other Austin agents do.
6. AUTOMATICALLY-ARMED CAR ALARM
This great type of alarm is automatically activated as soon as the Austinite driver locks their doors (key or remote control), or even shuts their doors.
- Big insurers, like AIG, will offer discounts for automatic alarms, but may not for manually-armed ones.
Hot Tip: Could get you 5% off on Austin Texas Comprehensive.
7. MANUALLY-ARMED CAR ALARM
Phil from Progressive stated that most insurers give a 2% discount for this. This type of automobile alarm must be armed manually by local Austinite drivers, typically using a key-ring remote control, or a manual punch-pad. Amazingly, because this must be manually activated, the discount is lower, or not offered at all by Austin (TX) auto insurer agencies.
Hot Tip: Could get you 2% off on a Comprehensive policy
8. VIN WINDOW GLASS ETCHING
Pay a visit to your local Austin mechanic, and have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) etched into all of the windows glasses in your car. Talk to your local Austinite dealer or auto hobby shop to see who can do this, or just do it yourself.
- Not all local Austin agencies offer this discount; make sure to ask anyways
9. LO-JACK – AUTO RECOVERY SYSTEM
Local Austinite drivers refer to this by its nickname – the “Lo-Jack” – and it is the most effective anti-theft device on the market. It consists of a transponder that allows your car to be tracked by local Austin police. A local driver (we’ll call him John D. Policyholder to maintain his anonymity) was able to save $334.46 on a bi-annual policy with AIG!
Hot Tip: Could get you as much as 10% off on a Comprehensive policy
10. ENGINE ELECTRONIC IMMOBILIZER
A great factory-installed feature cuts off power to your ignition, once the key is removed, making it near-impossible to “hotwire” the vehicle.
- Must be passive (automatically activated) to get discount
- Some Austin car insurance agencies require that this great security feature be coupled with a regular alarm system (i.e. must have both) in order to qualify.